Hinoki (Japanese Cypress) Cutting Board w/Stand 17.7" x 9.4" x 1.2" ht
Hinoki, or Japanese Cypress, is a single-piece soft wood from the conifer family. Due to its pleasant aroma when wet and natural resistance to rot, fungus, and other bacteria it is commonly found in traditional Japanese bathhouses called onsen. Hinoki, like other conifers such as cedar or redwood, is dimensionally stable, soft, and tough, so it will resist warping and cracking that is common in other woods. Its softness is beneficial when using hard, thin Japanese knives. this will allow the edge to last longer and mitigate the risk of damage.
This single-piece Hinoki cutting board is the optimal choice for stability, but it is increasingly becoming more difficult to provide a larger size cutting board as larger trees are much more difficult to find these days.
The tab at the bottom of this board turns out to allow it to stand upright during drying and storage.
• Material: Hinoki (Japanese Cypress)
• Dimensions: 17.7" x 9.4" x 1.2" ht (45cm x 24m x 3cm ht)
• Weight: 2.92 lbs / 1.32 kg
• Made in Japan
Hinoki is best left untreated with waxes or oils and simply washed with hot water, soap, and the use of a bristle brush such as a tawashi and then left to dry. Staining may occur when using the board. To prevent staining, you may wet the surface before use to mitigate any pigment from the food being cut and seeping into the wood. When drying these cutting boards it's recommended to leave them upright with the grain running vertically.
• Hinoki is a very soft wood and as such is quite gentle on knives. However, be aware that dents or scratches are common and can occur very easily. These boards may be sanded to refinish. Please consider this before placing an order.
• Hinoki contains natural sap which may be found at the cut edges of the wood. This is natural and safe.