Brand : Takamura Cutlery
Style : Petty (Paring Knife)
Blade Length : 130mm (5.1")
Weight : oz ( lbs)
Special Feature: Tsuchime (hammered)
Blade Steel Type : VG-10*
Handle material : Resin-Treated Compressed Wood
HRC : 61
Bevel Angle Ratio : 50/50
Spine Thickness: 1.8mm
Cover : Not included
Takamura Hamono are best known for their High Speed Powdered Steel (R2) offerings, but they are also experts at other common stainless knife steel including the ubiquitous VG-10. These knives feature a Tsuchime (hammered) finish which is both aesthetically pleasing and adds a modicum of food release. Takamura's expert grind and heat treatment means less wedging on tall, dense vegetables and ease of maintenance and sharpening over the life of the knife. This is one of our favorite knives for those looking to foray into Japanese knives and is sure to spark a desire to cut and to cook more.
Echizen hammer forged knives are known to have a thick spine but thin edge, and by recreating this classic silhouette with VG-10, Takamura Cutlery has managed to produce exceptionally steady knives that slice through food effortlessly.
Petty (Paring Knife)
The word 'petty' is colloquialized from the French word 'petit' and among knives refers to a relatively broad set of utility-oriented knife shapes and sizes. These knives will commonly take the profile of a smaller chef's knife or gyuto and are ideal for small, detailed tasks such as fine brunoise, mince and chiffonade and peeling. There is no hard-defined rule of what defines a petty versus a paring or a chef's knife but generally these will be considerably shorter (from spine to edge) than a chef's knife/santoku/nakiri as well as shorter (from handle to tip) than a slicer. A good size range would be from about 100-210mm and up to roughly 30mm tall. Some will group petty knives and paring knives together, but we think a meaningful distinction can be made between the two. Generally a paring knife will be considerably shorter so as to perform paring tasks in-hand more nimbly. A good guideline while searching for a paring knife is to hold the knife in your dominant hand and extend your dominant thumb; you will want your thumb to reach and ideally extend beyond the tip very slightly so that you can take full advantage of the tip for more detailed paring work. This is not to say that you cannot pare with a longer knife and it will depends larger on your comfort level.
Takamura knives have a core metal sandwiched between a different Steel Type so changing the bevel angle will alter the structure of the blade and it will lose its sharpness.
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at email@example.com
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If you receive damaged, defective, or incorrect items, we are committed to making it right. Please notify our customer service team within 48 hours of receiving your shipment, and include photos of any incorrect, damaged, or defective items as well as a photo of the condition of the shipping box and keep the entirety of the original items, all packaging, and packing materials for future inspection by the carrier.
We will provide a full refund of the purchase price and assist you with a new order if you would like a reshipment.
Any shipments replacing an incorrect item must be shipped to the order’s original shipping address only.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
REGULAR PACKAGE DELIVERY
- For packages shipped to locations in the US, we use UPS Ground. UPS SurePost® may be used for extra small packages (under 12" cube) being delivered to PO addresses. UPS SurePost® combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- For ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 3-5 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 3 am ET (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day. Orders placed after 11 am ET, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day. We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
- Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve.
- Unfortunately we do not ship packages (over 12" cube) to PO Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
- Please note that if your order weights over 150 lbs, it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing."
- This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous United States and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy.
- The lead days for packaging will be business days so the delivery date will be 10-12 business days.
- We currently pause international shipments. We will resume the service once our stock level becomes stable.