Free Shipping to the Contiguous U.S.
• Style : Gyuto (Chef's Knife) with Kiritsuke Tip
• Length : 240mm (9.4")
• Weight : oz
• Special Feature : Hairline Finish / San mai
• Blade Steel Type : ZDP-189
• Handle material : Rosewood with Buffalo Horn Ferrule
• HRC : 66
• Bevel Angle Ratio : 50/50
• Cover : Not included
Sukenari, following in their trend of using the latest high-tech cutlery steels, have produced their ZDP-189 line which is based on the cult following of Cowry-X of years past. These knives are roughly as hard as mizu-honyaki white steel typically gets while having better edge retention. Many high carbide steels are difficult to achieve a very keen edge with, but ZDP-189 manages to combine the ease of deburring of carbon steel with high abrasion resistance which makes it a very attractive choice for high-performance settings.
Hitachi ZDP-189 is the spiritual successor to Daido Cowry-X, which is no longer in production. Its extremely high carbon and chromium content contribute to its high hardenability and difficulty of manufacturing, increasing the cost of production. The extremely high percentage of alloying elements leads to a high carbide density, up to 36%, which affects not only hardness but durability and edge stability. The edge retention of ZDP-189 is remarkable and it can take a keen edge more easily than HAP40, while not retaining that edge quite as long as HAP40. As with most high-carbide-density steels, edge stability and therefore resistance to chipping will be greater at higher edge angles of around 15 degrees per side. We recommend every time you sharpen these knives that you thin the knife to maintain performance but finish it with a secondary bevel at roughly 15 degrees to increase stability.
San-mai (lit. three sheets) is a style of manufacture common for Japanese knives. A more practical translation is "three layers", referring to the core hardened steel being jacketed with soft steel. These style of knives may seen being referred to as "clad" or "kasumi", which has some overlap with a similar style of manufacture called Ni-mai or "two layers". Ni-mai is commonly found in single bevel knives where the soft steel is only on one side of the knife with a small portion spilling over to the other side.
About Sukenari Cutlery
Sukenari was founded during the Showa period in Toyama Prefecture and since its inception has been driven to produce quality cutlery through hands-on craftsmanship at every step. Sukenari's philosophy is that any tool should perform as an extension of oneself and this commitment to quality shows in each facet of the knife from rounded, polished choil and edges to impeccable grinds and an incredibly consistent heat treat.
Gyuto Chef's Knife
The Gyuto (lit. Cow Sword) is an adaptation of the French chef knife profile for the Japanese market. While the name cow sword would imply that this knife is meant only for meat, its versatility is the same a santoku and can be used as a general-purpose knife for any task. Many would consider a gyuto or chef's knife to be the one essential knife for any kitchen with all other knives being secondary. Compared to a German style chef's knife, a gyuto will have a somewhat flatter profile: this profile lends itself well to push-cutting which is common for Japanese chefs, as opposed to rock-chopping. Gyuto also tend to be thinner at the edge as well as the spine than most European chef's knives and as a result, have the less lateral toughness and care should be taken not to torque the blade while cutting to minimize the risk of chipping.
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at email@example.com
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If you receive damaged, defective, or incorrect items, we are committed to making it right. Please notify our customer service team within 48 hours of receiving your shipment, and include photos of any incorrect, damaged, or defective items as well as a photo of the condition of the shipping box and keep the entirety of the original items, all packaging, and packing materials for future inspection by the carrier.
We will provide a full refund of the purchase price and assist you with a new order if you would like a reshipment.
Any shipments replacing an incorrect item must be shipped to the order’s original shipping address only.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
REGULAR PACKAGE DELIVERY
- For packages shipped to locations in the US, we use UPS Ground. UPS SurePost® may be used for extra small packages (under 12" cube) being delivered to PO addresses. UPS SurePost® combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- For ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 3-5 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 3 am ET (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day. Orders placed after 11 am ET, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day. We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
- Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve.
- Unfortunately we do not ship packages (over 12" cube) to PO Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
- Please note that if your order weights over 150 lbs, it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing."
- This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous United States and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy.
- The lead days for packaging will be business days so the delivery date will be 10-12 business days.
- We currently pause international shipments. We will resume the service once our stock level becomes stable.