Shio kombu is kelp that has been simmered in soy sauce and other ingredients (such as sake and a sweetener), dried and then cut into pieces. In Japan, Shio kombu is often used as a topping for rice. But these days, chefs both in Japan and overseas are using shio kombu in a variety of dishes for the umami.
Kombu is not only rich in minerals, vitamins, iodine and fibers, but is also a concentrated source of natural glutamic acid (or glutamates). When combined with the inosinic acid in foods like katsuobushi (dried bonito), it enhances the umami. Umami-rich foods can be found in other parts of the world (like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in Italy), and is an essential component in any cuisine. Today, chefs all over the world have learned to use and embrace kombu, to enhance the flavors of their food (and minimize the use of salt).
Most of the kelp consumed in Japan comes from the cold, clean waters off Hokkaido, the northern island. Among the many species, Ma-konbu (or true bull kelp) is known as the king of kelp because of its fragrant bouquet and its ability to produce crystal clear, mellow, sweet, rich and refined dashi stock. Two year old ma-kombu is harvested annually during a short period from mid-July through mid-August. After the early morning harvest hundreds of moist kelp leaves are spread out on pebbles on the beach and dried naturally in the sun. Before the sun goes down the partially dried kelp is brought inside the factory barn, stacked up and left for overnight storage. Next morning the kelp is again laid over the pebbles for further drying. This process is repeated for several more days.
Then the hard and dried kelp is left outside after sunset to absorb nighttime moisture, making the kelp flexible, allowing it to be stretched and tightly rolled for storage. The stretched kelp is then trimmed by hand to remove the wavy edge, sorted by size and quality and finally it is dried further in the barn. At the end of the process kelp weighs only about 9% of its original material.
During the drying process as internal water evaporates, fine white powder seeps out from the interior and covers the surface. This powder is the source of fragrant sweetness and umami.
Matsumaeya was established in Osaka in 1912 and since then they have been providing quality kombu products to the culinary hubs all over Japan.
Ingredients: 2-Year Ma-kombu (true bull kelp), soy sauce, sake, sweetener and L-glutamic acid
Origin: ?üô?ìù, Hokkaido in Japan
Shelf Life: 6 months
We import food products from Japan via sea, so the shelf life will be shorter than it is in the Japanese markets. We?águarantee?áthat you will be satisfied with the freshness and quality of this product and that it will be delivered to you within any applicable expiration dates. Food products cannot be returned unless the expiration date is within 30 days when the item is delivered. If any food items in your order do not meet your expectations please contact us within 4 days after the receipt of your order. You can reach to us at email@example.com or (201) 806-1827.
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If you receive damaged, defective, or incorrect items, we are committed to making it right. Please notify our customer service team within 48 hours of receiving your shipment, and include photos of any incorrect, damaged, or defective items as well as a photo of the condition of the shipping box and keep the entirety of the original items, all packaging, and packing materials for future inspection by the carrier.
We will provide a full refund of the purchase price and assist you with a new order if you would like a reshipment.
Any shipments replacing an incorrect item must be shipped to the order’s original shipping address only.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or email@example.com
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
REGULAR PACKAGE DELIVERY
- For packages shipped to locations in the US, we use UPS Ground. UPS SurePost® may be used for extra small packages (under 12" cube) being delivered to PO addresses. UPS SurePost® combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- For ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 3-5 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 3 am ET (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day. Orders placed after 11 am ET, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day. We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
- Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve.
- Unfortunately we do not ship packages (over 12" cube) to PO Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
- Please note that if your order weights over 150 lbs, it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing."
- This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous United States and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy.
- The lead days for packaging will be business days so the delivery date will be 10-12 business days.
- We currently pause international shipments. We will resume the service once our stock level becomes stable.