This black salt is made by packing sea salt into a three year old bamboo and slowly roasting it over three days using traditional Japanese furnaces. The result is a milder salt, with a hint of smokiness and a sweet finish. Visibly interesting as well, this is a great finishing salt for anything from sushi (especially squid or tuna) to yakiniku (grilled meats) to pasta.
The salt packed into the bamboo is a true sea salt filled with natural minerals that provide bitterness, sweetness, slight acidity and, of course, saltiness. Suzu Shio is a rich and full tasting sea salt, and is one of the best from Japan. The Noto Peninsula reaches far out into the Japan Sea from the north coast of central Honshu, the main island of the country. This is where the warm current and cold current of the sea collide, bringing saltier water to this region.
In addition, sea water from this region is known as one of the cleanest in coastal Japan. This encouraged local people living by the coast to begin salt production in the 16th century. Suzu Shio is made by a very unique process that was developed by Shinkai Shio Sangyo Company. The clean sea water is sprayed over bamboo blinds, which are hung from the ceiling and reach to the floor. While the salt water runs down along the blinds, some moisture evaporates.
The collected salt water at the bottom is re-sprayed again on the bamboo blinds. Repetition of this process eventually produces saturated salt water. This is then transferred to a large stainless steel pot - about 7 feet in diameter - and crystallized over a gentle wood fire for the next two days.Like other Japanese sea salt, Suzu Shio is slightly moist. It has balanced mineral components and excellent distinctive taste. Adding Suzu Shio to soups, dressings, or simmered and braised dishes both in Japanese and Western preparations will enhance the flavors. Suzu Shio is also perfect for use as a condiment for tempura, sashimi or fried and grilled dishes.
Shinkai Shio Sangyo was established in 1998 by Mr. Shoji Koyachi as a small research project to bring back a long forgotten salt production process and business to what had been a historic salt producing region, Nagahashi Town, Suzu City, on the Noto Peninsula. After three years of study and research, the company began to produce sea salt with a staff of three employees, Ms. Junko Tsunetoshi, Ms. Tadako Shimo and Ms. Eiko Miyashita. These three women handle the hefty tasks of the salt production process with only rare help from some strong male associates. Four times each month 20,000 gallons of sea water is processed to produce just 400 pounds of sea salt. This delicious sea salt comes from the hands of three hard-working, very determined women. Every grain of salt carries their love and message of good health and wonderful taste.
Manufacturer: Shinkai Shio Sangyo
Ingredients: Noto Peninsula Sea Water, bamboo charcoal
Country of Origin: Japan
We import food products from Japan via sea, so the shelf life will be shorter than it is in the Japanese markets. We guarantee that you will be satisfied with the freshness and quality of this product and that it will be delivered to you within any applicable expiration dates. Food products cannot be returned unless the expiration date is within 30 days when the item is delivered. If any food items in your order do not meet your expectations please contact us within 4 days after the receipt of your order. You can reach to us at email@example.com or (201) 806-1827.
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If you receive damaged, defective, or incorrect items, we are committed to making it right. Please notify our customer service team within 48 hours of receiving your shipment, and include photos of any incorrect, damaged, or defective items as well as a photo of the condition of the shipping box and keep the entirety of the original items, all packaging, and packing materials for future inspection by the carrier.
We will provide a full refund of the purchase price and assist you with a new order if you would like a reshipment.
Any shipments replacing an incorrect item must be shipped to the order’s original shipping address only.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or email@example.com
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
REGULAR PACKAGE DELIVERY
- For packages shipped to locations in the US, we use UPS Ground. UPS SurePost® may be used for extra small packages (under 12" cube) being delivered to PO addresses. UPS SurePost® combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- For ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 8-9 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 3 am ET (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day. Orders placed after 11 am ET, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day. We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
- Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve.
- Unfortunately we do not ship packages (over 12" cube) to PO Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
- Please note that if your order weights over 150 lbs, it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing."
- This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous United States and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy.
- The lead days for packaging will be business days so the delivery date will be 10-12 business days.
- We currently pause international shipments. We will resume the service once our stock level becomes stable.