A hangiri is a wooden barrel or tub that is traditionally used to mix rice with vinegar when making sushi. It is also used to mix rice with a variety of ingredients to make chirashizushi. Sushi chefs prefer to use this wooden hangiri over plastic containers because wood absorbs the right amount of moisture from the rice to prevent sogginess and make it the perfect texture.
Our Hangiri barrels are made from Heartwood of Sawara cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera) selected from the Kiso district. Heartwood is the mature part of wood known for its high water resistance, durability as well as its fine texture and high utility value. Most cheap hangiri are made from Sapwood which is soft outer layers of recently formed wood and prone to mold growth. Although heartwood and sapwood look similar, most often, Sapwood is used in the production of cheap wood products like mixing bowls or cooking utensils.
We are confident in the high-quality production of hangiri that you can trust.
These stainless steel hoops bring the mixing bowl more hygienic!
The essential Sawara Cypress Hangiri for Sushi Restaurants has become more sanitary. This Stainless-Steel Hoop version might look unfamiliar but it will not create green rust or loosen with temperature change unlike the common copper version. Health Inspectors will always prefer Stainless Steel items over Copper.
Cypress wood transfers its natural aroma to rice, so the taste becomes more flavorful and pleasant.
- • Material: Cypress wood, Stainless Steel
- • Outer Diameter: 23.5" (60 cm)
- • Inside Heignt: 5.2" (13.2cm)
- • Overall Height: 6.4" (16.2cm)
- • Capacity: 40 Rice Cups (30 1/2 US Cups)
Please be advised that the stainless-steel hoops are not fastened to the wood and are only held on by pressure. The wood used for Hangiri will expand as it absorbs moisture, and contract when dried. The hoops commonly become loose in dry climates and during cold seasons. It is normal for the hoops to become loose and is easy to fix. To fit the hoops, flip the Hangiri upside down and push the hoops down until snug. You can also use a small soft mallet to tap the hoops in position. While the hangiri is still upside down, pour water over the Hangiri to cause the wood to expand until the hoops fit tightly. This is the same technique used by Sushi Chefs to maintain natural wood Hangiri.
Please make sure to dry the hangiri facing outward to prevent any mold growth.
Click here for a supporting letter for the use of a wooden hangiri for your restaurant. We understand that food safety is important and that health authorities in certain states may object to the use of these wooden barrels but we think it is important to preserve this traditional use of the hangiri. Please note that this is to support the use of hangiri made in Japan only.
Frequently bought together
Wooden Rice Spatula
Medium: 14.17"/36cm (#91189) / Large: 21.25"/54cm (#91188)
Return PolicyIf you are not satisfied with items
MTC Kitchen accepts returns of any new and unused item in its original condition for a full refund or an exchange within 30 days of customer receipt. We reserve the right to refuse used or broken items. Please keep the packing slip and include it with the return packages. Without proof of purchase, we are unable to accept any items for return or exchange.
All items marked “Clearance” may not be returned or exchanged.
We do not reimburse shipping charges on returns.
Knives returned will have the shipping cost deducted from the refund total. The return shipment fee depends on your location and the quantity of knives that you're returning. If you would like to know the shipping fee, and estimated refund total, please contact us at email@example.com
If you receive damaged, defective or incorrect items
If you receive damaged, defective, or incorrect items, we are committed to making it right. Please notify our customer service team within 48 hours of receiving your shipment, and include pictures of any incorrect, damaged, or defective items.
We also ask that you keep all packaging and packing materials for future inspection of damaged items by the carrier.
We will provide a full refund of the purchase price and assist you with a new order if you would like a reshipment.
Any shipments replacing an incorrect item must be shipped to the order’s original shipping address only.
Upon receipt of your return or exchange, we will process your request within 3 business days. For returns, please allow up to 2 billing cycles for the refund to appear on your statement. If you would like to expedite the exchange process, please return your original item and place a new order for the item you want.
If you have any questions contact us at 201.806.1897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST
REGULAR PACKAGE DELIVERY
- For packages shipped to locations in the US, we use UPS Ground. UPS SurePost® may be used for extra small packages (under 12" cube) being delivered to PO addresses. UPS SurePost® combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- For ground shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday for in-stock items, will be processed within 1-3 business days.
- For expedited shipments, orders placed Monday through Friday by 3 am ET (excluding holidays) for in-stock items, will be processed within the same day. Orders placed after 11 am ET, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays for in-stock items, will be processed within the next or following business day. We may need to contact you to verify your order and shipping information. Please consider that even expedited shipping services may require additional time to complete the verification process.
- Business Days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. We are unable to ship or process orders on Saturdays, Sundays or the following holidays: New Year’s Day (the 2nd is a "Limited Service Day for UPS), Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday, Day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, (the 26th is a "Limited Service Day for UPS) and New Year's Eve.
- Unfortunately we do not ship packages (over 12" cube) to PO Boxes with UPS Ground and UPS Expedited shipments as UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.
BULK ORDER DELIVERY
- Please note that if your order weights over 150 lbs, it will be shipped and priced as a non-palletized shipment using "UPS Ground with Freight Pricing."
- This shipping service will be applied for deliveries within the contiguous United States and does not follow UPS's guaranteed delivery service policy.
- The lead days for packaging will be business days so the delivery date will be 10-12 business days.
- We currently pause international shipments. We will resume the service once our stock level becomes stable.